To celebrate 2014, I would like to share my Top 13 Vegan Eats + Recipes on vegan miam for 2013. 2013 was a fabulous year: We traveled to Latin America for the first (and second) time with trips to Bogota and Buenos Aires, visited and revisited a few U.S. cities, and returned to Europe for Summer in Valencia and the Winter holidays in Paris. I’ve tested a few fabulous cookbooks and crafted some more insanely delicious dishes, one of which won the best Appetizer for Virtual Vegan Potluck and some of my dishes were featured on VegNews Online.
I would like to thank you and to all my lovely readers who stopped by here this year; to all my amazing guest bloggers who shared their beautiful vegan recipes and stories and to all the amazing folks who offered my readers giveaways. Lastly, a massive thanks to my partner Doni the official “Photographer” of vegan miam who helped contribute to some review & travel posts this year while I edit photos and craft vegan dishes. Thank you so much for all of your kind comments during the year and your words of support, advices, encouragement, friendship mean more than you know! xx
Let’s start with my Top 13 Vegan Eats. We spent most of our travels in Spanish-speaking countries. I haven’t had the chance to post some vegan eats from Bogota, Las Vegas, and Buenos Aires this year, but I hope I will post them soon!
2013 past travels
1. Chicago (view posts)
2. Bogota, Colombia (view posts, some in progress)
3. Las Vegas (in progress)
4. Valencia, Spain (view posts)
5. Buenos Aires, Argentina (view posts, some in progress)
6. Philly (view posts)
7. Paris, France (in progress)
1. (Chicago, IL) Slurpin’ Turtle: Vegan Tofu Mushroom Noodle Soup with whole wheat ramen noodle, silken tofu, Japanese mushrooms and kabocha squash.
2. (Chicago, IL) The Waldorf Astoria Chicago: Vegan Toasted Quinoa with rutabaga, baby carrots and orange.
3. (Bogota, Colombia) Naturalmente Restaurante Vegetariano: Quinoa patty (Medallon De Quinoa), rice with corn (Arroz con choclo), eggplant tempura (Tempura de Berenjena), and veggie salad with beet and tomato (Ensalada de Hortalizas).
4. (Bogota, Colombia) Bici Burger: Vegan Bacon & Soy Patty Burger (bbq con tocineta), all burgers come with three different vegan sauces: garlic mayo (mayonesa de ajo), black olive mayo (mayonesa de aceitunas negras), sweet onion maple sauce (salsa de cebollas dulces en maple syrup).
5. (Bogota, Colombia) Zukini Vegetariano Restaurante: Bandeja Paisa with green and yellow fried plantains, homemade arepas and chicharrines. The bottom is a sweet guava puree. Soup contains white hominy corn and vegetables.
6. (Portland, Oregon) Departure Restaurant + Lounge: Chef Gregory’s Chia, Pumpkin and Seaweed cracker with avocado, a slice of red onion, chopped scallions and spicy miso sauce.
7. (Valencia, Spain) Tarta de Zanahoria: The main course – Lasaña Boloñesa (Bolognese Lasagna), it was a popular dish for the day. The other main course – Crepes de Boletus (Boletus, or Mushrooms Crepes).
8. (Valencia, Spain) Loving Hut Valencia: Sushi, croquette with aioli & herbs, and on top of the sushi is Seitan Al Puerro (Seitan with Leeks). The right side shows a vegetable fritter and other Asian dishes.
9. (Buenos Aires, Argentina) Vita Cafe: We had a vegan fugazetta with homemade vegan cashew cheese, roasted onions and olives. It was pretty tasty. Fugazetta is a very traditional Argentinian pizza of a thick crust with melting cheese and roasted onions.
10. (Buenos Aires, Argentina) L’epi Bakery: We picked up our favorite Pan de Campo bread and brought it back with us. The ingredients are wheat flour, water, salt and naturally sourdough (levain). The Pan de Campo pairs well with soups, sauces, pasta, and even on its own with creamy salad.
11. (Philadelphia, PA) HipCityVeg: From their “Burgers & Sandwiches” list, we ordered Crispy HipCity Ranch ($8.50) with battered chick’n, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles & peppercorn ranch. This was probably the best burger we’ve had on the East Coast. Initially we suspected the sandwich would use Gardein or Beyond Meat but we were pleased to discover it used neither of these. The peppercorn ranch was fantastic and provided a bit of bite.
12. (Philadelphia, PA) Vedge Restaurant: I ordered the $9 Cheesecake with carrot cake ice cream, waldorf salad and celery gel & walnut dirt. When it comes to ice cream, you can taste the carrot cake, wow! I was pretty impressed that the flavor of the gel went pretty well with the cheesecake. The desserts may look small, but they are pretty filling.
13. (Paris, France) Gentle Gourmet: Had a vegan creme brûlée with Grand Marnier and glazed oranges for dessert. I like that they incorporate more French desserts…there aren’t many bakeries that veganize traditional French desserts at the moment. Can we see some vegan rum baba and Éclair?!
My Top 13 Recipes of 2013: I’ve made dozens more dishes this year compared to 2012! My Salt & Pepper Tofu Gua Bao won the best Appetizer for Virtual Vegan Potluck and some of my dishes were featured on VegNews Online.
4. Salt + Pepper Tofu Gua Bao (Virtual Vegan Potluck Appetizer Winner)
13. Vegan Radiant Orchid Alfajores with Coconut Dulce de Leche (Stokes Purple Sweet Potato)