Wherever we travel and stay in, i.e., Colombia for a long period of time, spiced fries (or fried potatoes) are our favorite dish to make. Who doesn’t love potatoes?! It’s easy, quick and cheap to eat. It is hard to buy all spices and sauces at a rented flat if you are staying there for 1 month or less, but it doesn’t mean you can’t cook and eat good comfort food. For our spiced fries dish, you only need four basic spices: salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder, a pot to boil these potatoes and a frying pan. Now back in Oregon, we wanted to make Tandoori Tofu Scramble + Spiced Fries since we have all the spices in our pantry.
I highly recommend this product for pressing tofu for 3-4 hours for a somewhat firm tofu (not too soft or not too firm). This product saves me time from pressing and using towels. To view my review about this product, TofuXpress, read here.
Tandoori Tofu Scramble & Spiced Fries
Yield: 2 large servings
For the Spiced Fries:
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled, and cut into ½-inch cubes (Russet or Yukon Gold)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, add more for color and taste
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt, add more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Tandoori Spice Rub (about 2 tsp):
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- small pinch of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
For the Tandoori Tofu Scramble:
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 (14-ounce) firm tofu, pressed for 3-4 hours or overnight
- ¼ cup vegan broth (Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n)
- 2 teaspoons “Tandoori Spice Rub” (see above)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 small shallots, finely minced
- 4 button or crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of chopped baby spinach, kale or mustard greens
- 1 small tomato, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons scallions, green parts, diced for garnish
Make Spiced Fries: In a large pot, bring to a boil, add diced potatoes, then reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly tender. Drain well in a colander. In a small mixing bowl, mix chili powder and ground cumin. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high and fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side or until browned. We like ours browned up. Once browned, dust the fries with cumin + chili mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Using your hand, mush the tofu into ‘scramble-ready’ look with your hands. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the spiced rub, chopped shallot and garlic and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Add the “scrambled” tofu until it slightly browns. Add the vegetarian broth and continue to sauté until the liquid is almost all absorbed.
Add the nutritional yeast and salt and stir to coat the tofu. Add the greens and continue to sauté until wilted. Scoop a generous portion of tofu scramble atop a warm tortilla, spiced fries and hot sauce. Add vegan cheese for a cheesy breakfast burrito (optional).