There is still plenty of time left this summer for Oregon to hit 90 degrees and the thought of making comfort meals is unbearable. The Tuscan Kale Salad with Lemon-Shallot Dressing + Parmela was the perfect light meal during the heat wave. It is refreshing, light and tasty, especially with the savory and cheesy flavors from the gourmet vegan parmesan, Parmela. It is vegan, gluten-free and cholesterol-free. You can add raw nuts or avocado to the Tuscan Kale Salad for texture or creaminess (or both). The Lemon-Shallot dressing is made with the juice of lemons, shallots and seasonings.
I will be hosting a massive Parmela giveaway tomorrow, so keep an eye out soon! Keep in mind, this giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. I will provide further details.
In this recipe, it calls for raw walnuts and diced avocado. You don’t have to use these ingredients, personally I like simpler ingredients in my kale salad. The Tuscan kale salad marries beautifully with citrus, raw nuts, sunflower seeds, apple, squash, crispy garlic slices, coconut bacon or caramelized onions. You can make a side salad or eat on its own as a dinner meal.
If you like hot and spicy foods, add dried chili flakes if needed.
- 8-oz. Tuscan kale, carefully rinsed, stems and center ribs cut away and discarded, leaves coarsely chopped or ripped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 medium lemon)
- 3 tablespoons shallot, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fresh black pepper
- 4 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raw walnuts
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced for topping/garnish
- Parmela - Parmesan Style Aged Nut Cheese for topping or garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly stream in olive oil while whisking. Continue whisking until emulsified. Leave it aside covered at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour so the dressing will be flavored. Do not refrigerate.
- Prep the Tuscan kale leaves, shred the leaves, stems removed, and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Using clean hands, gently give your kale a massage with the Lemon-Shallot dressing. Add the avocado and raw walnuts and mix into the salad.
- Garnish with Parmela parmesan and serve immediately.
- The Lemon-Shallot Dressing cannot be stored later, and it must be used for the kale salad immediately.