My darling makes amazing oven-roasted tomatoes of all kinds, especially the Oven-Roasted Baby Heirloom Tomatoes. I use them for my grilled cheese sandwich or on my pasta dishes. We don’t like eating tomatoes, baby heirloom tomatoes and cherry tomatoes on their own, that’s something we had in common. We prefer olive oil drizzled over fresh tomatoes with fresh garlic and herbs. We found some baby heirloom tomatoes at Trader Joe’s, and we wanted to give them a try by oven-roasting them.
- 16-oz. baby heirloom tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Place the pan in the oven, then preheat the oven to 350º F. We used Emile Henry Flame-Top Roaster for roasting the tomatoes.
- Emile Henry Flame-Top Roaster
- While the pan is heating up, cut the tomatoes in half horizontally and remove the stems and place them in a mixing bowl. Smash the garlic cloves.
- Add olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper to the mixing bowl with the tomatoes. This will be your "tomato mixture."
- When the oven reaches 350º F, remove the pan and add your "tomato mixture." Make sure the halved tomatoes face up (the flesh), otherwise see photo below for an example. Be careful since the pan is hot.
- Roast in the oven until the tomatoes wilt and become softened, about 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye out on them since tomato sizes vary.
We used Darling’s Oven-Roasted Baby Heirloom Tomatoes for our Puff Pastry Pizza (view post + recipe here).