I have been experimenting with raw creamy sauces and dressings for a kale salad after my love for Lacinato Kale Salad with Dried Cranberries, Cashews, Apple & Curried Dressing. I prefer my kale salad to be creamy. I wanted to start with something simple and quick. I found a simple recipe on Whole Living for a creamy kale salad with a refreshing mix of crispy apples, kale, and walnuts. I omitted the walnuts and apples since they weren’t available to me at that time. I used baby beets from Trader Joe’s. The recipe was pretty good so far for me, especially with the whole ripe avocado.
The creamy kale salad recipe is somewhat adapted from Whole Living. For crunchier texture, you can add raw walnuts and other nuts, and apples for more toppings. But I personally like my kale salad simple, without too many ingredients involved. I hope you enjoy the Raw Kale Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing & Baby Beets!
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seed removed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch kale (8 oz.), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 small baby beet, thinly sliced (You can get them at Trader's Joe, without the skins on)
- Combine avocado, vinegar, mustard, and oil in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. (It will be thick.) Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine kale and toss with avocado dressing in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with thinly sliced baby beets.
- Serve immediately.
- For extra topping, feel free to add 1 sweet, crisp apple, cored and cut into thin wedges and 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped for crunchy texture.