I am addicted to this lemon-shallot dressing I made for my Tuscan kale salad with avocado and Parmela. It is also one of our favorite dishes to have during our cleanse. The lemon-shallot dressing is vegan and gluten-free, and can be made easily raw if using raw virgin coconut oil, raw coconut butter, or cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil and omitting dried cranberries (can use raw nuts or fruits). I only used extra-virgin olive oil for the lemon-shallot dressing. This simple kale salad is pretty quick to make. The lemon-shallot dressing works pretty well with any kale, wild arugula (rocket), and other dark leafy greens for a salad or side dish.
I am not a huge fan of Trader Joe’s Kale due to the hard stems, but it comes pre-washed, pre-trimmed and ready to use. From now on, I prefer the fresh kale from the local markets, rather than the packaged and prepared kale. For the Simple Kale Salad + Lemon-Shallot Dressing, I added dried cranberries and fresh cucumber slices. You can add whatever you like. The avocado is also a nice addition.
- 8 oz. kale, carefully rinsed, stems and center ribs cut away and discarded, leaves coarsely chopped or ripped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 medium lemon)
- 3 tablespoons shallot, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fresh black pepper
- 4 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or cold-pressed
- In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly stream in olive oil while whisking. Continue whisking until emulsified. Leave it aside covered at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour so the dressing will be flavored. Do not refrigerate.
- Prep the Tuscan kale leaves, shred the leaves, stems removed, and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Using clean hands, gently give your kale a massage with the Lemon-Shallot dressing.
- Serve immediately.
- The Lemon-Shallot Dressing cannot be stored later, and it must be used for the kale salad immediately.