I was so excited to see watermelon radishes at a local market in Oregon. Watermelon radishes can be served fresh or cooked and hot or cold. The flesh has a tender crisp and firm texture similar to an Asian daikon as the flavor is mildly peppery similar to red radishes. The greenish and pinkish watermelon radishes add a delightful punchy color and flavor to any dishes.
I discovered a simple and wonderful recipe from My Living Nutrition and wanted to give it a try: Watermelon Radish + Carrots Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette. The salad serves as a perfect summery side dish with your main courses including on rice.
The Watermelon Radish + Carrots Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette is vegan, gluten-free and soy-free without requiring too many ingredients. The carrots are julienned with a favorite and daily tool of mine: Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler . The Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler easy to use and clean. You can also use it for making raw noodles out of vegetables or make a julienned asian slaw instantly.
Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler
- 2 small watermelon radishes, sliced thinly, and cut in half into half circles
- 1 medium carrot, julienned (Use Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler to julienne these carrots).
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon cold-pressed coconut oil
- Pinch garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (Kevala Organic Toasted Sesame Oil )
- 1/2 teaspoon tamari (San-J Tamari Soy Sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (white or black)
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare to julienne carrots and slice watermelon radishes and place them in a medium bowl.
- Whisk vinegar, coconut oil, garlic powder, toasted sesame oil, tamari, and sugar in a small bowl until it starts to emulsify.
- Pour your vinaigrette over the vegetables. Mix, add sesame seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, covered with a lid to allow the salad marinate and serve immediately.