This recipe involves The Vegg. For further review about The Vegg, please read here. This is not a successful dish so far. Instead, The Vegg mix made my frittata soggy. Perhaps next time, I should use less water in the Vegg mix and use flour in the batter to make it thick and bready. Or perhaps the dried radish was too wet for the Vegg mix. There are tons of reasons why this vegan dish was unsuccessful. But I will leave a “broken, somewhat rectified” recipe here that may still work (please let me know if this was a success or not)):
3/4 cup chopped dried radish or fresh radish
2 bundles of green onions, chopped
3 teaspoons minced garlic
pinch of white pepper
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon sesame oil
8 teaspoons The Vegg
1 1/2 cups warm water for the Vegg Mix
8 oz extra firm tofu, pressed and drained for the Vegg Mix
1. Place chopped dried radish in a medium bowl and soak it in tap water for 30 minutes to remove saltiness. Squeeze dry with a cheese cloth and set aside.
2. Heat sesame oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add minced garlic and cook for few minutes until fragrant. Do not burn the garlic.
3. Add dried radish and saute about 1 minute. Season with white pepper & sugar & sesame oil, stir. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Blend water, The Vegg and tofu in a high-speed blender for 30 seconds. Set it aside.
It may seem soggy at first. I would probably recommend making a “pancake” batter to keep the frittata thick, but I haven’t tested that out yet.
3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of boiling water (slowly pour it over flour, it should be a bit sticky).
It will look like a bread dough once mixed in a bowl. Knead it. Season it with pinch of shortening, white pepper, salt and sesame oil. Knead it again. Roll it out and flat it like a pancake. Add oil at medium heat in a large pan, add the “flat pancake”, then,
5. Pour half of the Vegg Mix onto the pancake and press down with a spatula to make it flat. Leave it cooking for 2 minutes, then add radish mixture and scallions. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the rest of the Vegg Mix after flipping the frittata “pancake” until it is golden brown. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with green onion and serve with any porridge.