I am now a fan of Oh She Glows’ Eat Your Greens Detox Soup (Page 139, “The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out”) and made it twice last week. I halved the recipe the first time and it was perfect for one. I doubled the recipe the second time with orzo and it was so tasty! The soup was very delicious and packed with flavors – ground cinnamon, ground cumin, fresh ginger and fresh lemon juice; all pack a punch, but in a harmonious way. I like a fresh herb garnish; some dill, chives or fennel fronds should go nicely on top of this soup. It took about 18 to 20 minutes in Step 3 for the veggies to be tender. I used exactly ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper in the soup. I added kale for the last 5 minutes of cooking in Step 4, so the soup will be ready in 20 minutes!
Win a copy of “The Oh She Glows Cookbook”. Open to US Residents only. Ends May 12th, 2014. Enter the giveaway now (at the end of the post): http://bit.ly/OhSheGlows
Gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, grain-free
Calling all vegetable lovers! This soup is great if you want to cleanse and detoxify your body, especially before or after an indulgent holidays. It’s packed with detoxifying and immunity-boosting ingredients like broccoli, ginger, mushrooms, kale, nori, and garlic, and will get your healthy eating right back on track.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
The "Eat Your Greens Detox Soup" recipe (page 139, Soup) is from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Reprinted by arrangement with AVERY, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © GLO BAKERY CORPORATION, 2014.