There is only one gordita fast-food chain in Mexico City that is vegan-friendly, and it is known as, Gorditas Doña Tota. The fast-food chain is located off Michoacán in La Condesa area of Mexico City, not too far from Falafelito. The fast-food chain specializes in traditional gorditas filled with stews. It also have branches in the U.S. and other parts of Mexico, but here in Mexico City, you will experience more authentic gorditas.
Here are vegan gorditas you can order:
- Papita en Salsa Roja (Potatoes in Red Salsa) – $9 each
- Nopalitos (Cooked Cactus) – $9 each
- Champiñones (Mushrooms) – $10 each
- Frijolitos con Queso (Beans with Cheese) – Please ask no cheese with beans. Just say “sin Queso” for no cheese. It is $10 each. (Honestly, we’ve never tried these before, I would probably skip the beans in the first place and do the veggies to be safe)
Location & Hours & Notes
- Local B Michoacán # 151, Col. Condesa, Delegación Cuauhtemoc, Distrito Federal, C.P. 06140
- It is not usually busy during the weekday late morning/afternoon. But I’m not sure about the hours.
- They also have spicy green salsa condiment you can add to your gorditos. The staff will bring them to you.
- Only go to that place if you feel like a quick snack on the run for a $9-10 vegan gordito. And if you order a lot of them, it may be boring since they are individual-filled gorditas. That is just my honest opinion.
- They have outdoor seating.
Nopalitos (Cooked Cactus) Gordita $9 each
This was my first time to try cooked cactus especially in a corn tortilla. Keep in mind I am not a fan of corn tortillas, but I remain a fan as a burrito, which it is not that common in Mexico City. I thought the cooked cactus was interesting, it was a bit salty but soft like slow cooked beans. I didn’t want to apply salsa to it because it was already salty and flavoured. I’m not sure if I want to get it again since I prefer guacamole and something else in it.
Champiñones (Mushrooms) Gordita $10 each
As pictured above, the mushrooms gordita is the bottom one. Again, it tasted a bit salty, but it was a simple gordita with cooked mushrooms. I think it has the same consistency as the cooked cactus (they are both slightly overcooked, salty and soft) I honestly feel that it needs avocados or rice in it to be more tasty or satisfying. Again, it’s another cheap gordita you get for $10 each, and it’s a simple vegan-friendly gordita you can get!
Papita en Salsa Roja (Potatoes in Red Salsa) $9 each
As pictured above, the potatoes in red salsa is the top one. I would have to say that one was my favourite filling for a cheap gordita to go compared to the others. It wasn’t too bad. It’s more like cooked and diced potatoes in red salsa. It was a very saucy filling, so definitely eat it quickly!