This is one of our summer dishes involving inari (a.k.a. Oinari-san, or Inarizushi) pockets with sushi rice, pickled carrots & red peppers and chopped green onion, plus roasted sesame seeds.
Serves plenty. I would say party of 6-8.
Rika’s Favourite Sushi Rice
This is the most versatile sushi rice recipe and this calls only for 3 cups of cooked sushi rice. This can be used for sushi, too. I followed this recipe more than 3 times without any issues and we all enjoyed the consistency, flavour and texture of the sushi rice. Make sure you make this sushi rice mix when the rice is warm.
• 3 cups cooked sushi rice
• 1/2 cup rice vinegar
• 2 tablespoons vegan sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
1. In a small saucepan, mix rice vinegar, sugar and salt at medium heat until all solids are dissolved. This shouldn’t take more than few minutes.
2. Remove sushi rice from the cooker gently with wooden spoon to a large rectangular glass pan or large wooden sushi bowl (I like to see all rice laid out on that pan, rather than the bowl). Do not smash them. Treat the rice like mousse. Clean the wooden spoon with water after usage, dry it with cloth.
3. Pour a bit of mixture on rice immediately (after taken out of the rice cooker) and gently cut the rice with a wooden spoon (or wooden rice spoon) and fold it gently. Use a fan to cool the rice while you fold rice and add mixture to it. Do this 5-6 times until the mixture is finished.
3. Cover rice with a humid towel for 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Let it cool at room temperature.
Inari Pockets with Everything Else
• 2 green onions, chopped
• one can of inari pockets
• pickled red bell peppers & carrots
• prepared sushi rice (as mentioned above)
1. In a large bowl, add some of prepared sushi rice. Add pickled carrots and red bell peppers. Add chopped green onions. Mix them gently and very delicate because you don’t want to smash the sushi rice. Add more sushi rice.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the sesame seeds at medium heat for 2-3 minutes until roasted. Place the roasted sesame seeds on a plate.
3. Stuff the mixture into the inari pocket and coat with the roasted sesame seeds.