Imagine tasting these vegan artisan chocolate-covered caramels with unique and organic ingredients such as blood orange and hibiscus, organic rosemary with Celtic grey sea salt, Colorado Port and organic black mission figs, Morello cherries with almonds or even the unique Masala Mango, or even so much more! Plus, they are vegan, gluten- and corn-free made with non-refined sugars. Only one Colorado-based vegan confections company, Desiderio Chocolates makes those kinds, including the vegan Gourmellow Bar (a double layer of marshmallow and dark chocolate ganache) and the vegan Nougatissimo (a European style nougat).
In July 2012, Desiderio Chocolates launched a Kickstarter campaign and raised $15,869 for a small enrobing machine for her vegan confections.
I tried six beautiful crafted chocolate vegan caramels in five different flavours, but two different coating colours. I was amazed with the creamy caramel infused with exotic flavours. On a side note, I tasted and tested each caramel without knowing the flavours first (i.e., did not look at her website).
GENERAL INGREDIENTS: Organic unrefined cane sugar, organic coconut milk, organic agave nectar, organic cocoa butter, organic dark chocolate (cocoa mass*, organic unrefined cane sugar*, cocoa butter*, sunflower lecithin, natural vanilla), organic coconut oil, sea salt) *organic
1. Passion fruit Vegan Caramel with a Drizzle (Dark Chocolate Coat): I immediately tasted the creamy passion fruit caramel with a bit of salty touch to it. I’ve tried passion fruits in Taiwan and Malaysia. The caramel has a sweet, citrus undertone with a sweet tang that tapers off to the back of your tongue, dipped in a lovely dark chocolate. It is a gorgeous masterpiece.
2. Mango Masala Vegan Caramel: Our first impression was a dried ginger on the chocolate caramel, but it was a dried mango. My first bite started with a blend of spices and ginger, my first assumption was a warm pumpkin spice. I looked up Desiderio Chocolates’ website and it was a Mango Masala. That was an interesting caramel flavour, that is far different from being fruity, salty or original. The mango masala vegan caramel echoes that wintery warmth theme.
3. Original Himalayan Sea Salt Vegan Caramel: Compared to the other two flavoured caramels, this is the original flavour with sea salt. What a trendy, delicious sweet and salty treat. I would eat loads of them. I like the fact that DesiderioC hocolates carries original flavour, so you can taste the originality of the vegan caramel.
4. Morello Cherry & Almonds Vegan Caramel: There is an almond on the caramel, which is pretty cute. It tasted like a strong tart berry which I couldn’t identify. When I looked it up, it was a morello cherry, a type of sour cherry with very dark skin, flesh, and juice. That’s a very tasty berry caramel with a bit of tang, that I like!
5. Raspberry Caramel: What a beautiful crafted caramel enrobed in dark chocolate, and topped with sparkling red crystals! I could taste the creamy raspberry infused caramel right away.
6. Passion fruit Vegan Caramel with a Drizzle (Light Chocolate Coat): This flavour is similar to #1, with passion fruit caramel, but differs in coating colour. I like either coating colour.
This is Vanessa’s first vegan creation, the vegan marshmallow bar. Vegan Gourmellows has an airy vanilla marshmallow interior, layered with a vegan ganache and dipped in dark chocolate. If you are a fan of loads of chocolate, this is a perfect truffle bar for you! My ideal chocolate truffle bar would be gooey with loads of caramel and marshmallow, but DesiderioChocolates creates an impressive vegan version of marshmallow. This is my first time to try a vegan marshmallow bar, hooray for me!
I would recommend refrigerating during warm days, and if you are ready to eat it, take it out and leave it aside for 45 minutes to an hour so the chocolate would be more delicate to enjoy!
Box of three Gourmellows® packed in a 100% recycled craft box, individually wrapped.
This vegan Chocolate-Covered Vegan Nougat “Choco Nougatissimo” is a delicious confectionery filled with almonds, hazelnuts, and pistachios, made with organic unrefined cane sugar (vegan) and organic agave syrup. These sorts of nuts led it to a nutty taste, along with the gooey, sticky and yummy white nougat. The vegan nougat provides the crunchiness, but with soft texture. The dark chocolate nicely counteracts the sweetness of the vegan nougat, making for a chewy, yummy treat.
The vegan Imperial Stout Dark Chocolate Ganache & Caramel Bar came across a very smooth, firm dark chocolate bar with a small amount of edible gold flakes. The silky vegan ganache melted in my mouth slowly, while the dark chocolate covering was delicate and velvety, with a hint of creamy caramel center. What a DIVINE vegan confectionery!